An Introduction to Wake TRU
What is TRU?
The Poe Center’s new T.R.U. (Tobacco Reality Unfiltered) program builds on the rich heritage of the statewide effort responsible for reducing the impact of tobacco use on our communities. This effort continues through strategic community partnerships with organizations such as 4-H Youth Development, Project ASSIST, NC Alliance for Health, NC Alcohol Law Enforcement, and the NC Division of Public Health.
We are looking for youth educators to be a part of the Wake TRU Team. Candidates must be willing to commit to position for at least 1 year and have a flexible schedule to make all specified meetings, trainings and events.
TRU Member Requirements:
- Must be in high school (9th-12th grade).
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Attend specified trainings and community events.
- Be available to participate in the program during after school hours (evenings) and possibly weekends.
What Will Be Expected of TRU Group Members?
- TRU’s main commitment is to work to reduce tobacco sales and tobacco access to youth/minors.
- Willingness to educate merchants on the laws and regulations of selling tobacco products to under age youth.
- Educate youth and adults about tobacco use issues.
- Attend at least one TRU meeting/event per month throughout the year.
- Attend the trainings needed to be an effective member.
- Keep in communication with your Adult Team Leaders.
- Be sensitive to various socioeconomic settings, cultures, and individual backgrounds.
TRU Member Additional Commitments Could Include:
- Peer-to-Peer Education: Educating youth about tobacco initiation, prevention and cessation in schools and community centers.
- Advocacy: Promoting 100% Tobacco Free School policy at their high school.
- Media Advocacy: Creating tobacco prevention media messages and materials.
- Educating the community about national tobacco prevention efforts such as Kick Butts Day and The Great American Smoke out.
Benefits to TRU Members Include:
- It’s fun!
- Free Skill-building and leadership training.
- Obtain community service hours.
- Great for your resume
- Being a positive role model for other youth.
- Great experience for scholarship and award applications.
- Enhance public speaking skills.
- T-shirts, meals and other incentives included with membership.
- Meet new people; make new friends!
- Help save lives!