The Poe Center believes that educating children and youth on the importance of making positive health decisions is more impactful when parents, caregivers and adult community members are well-informed of today’s issues. Participating in these programs empower parents, caregivers and other adults to take an active role in the future health of North Carolina children and youth.
Adult participants who attend the following programs are able to effectively facilitate important discussions with children and youth on the following topics.
- Drug, alcohol and tobacco use and abuse
- Bullying prevention and awareness
- Sexual health responsibility and development
- Nutrition and physical activity
Learn More About Our Scholarship Program
Grade Level: Adults Only | Program Length: 2 hour workshop
The Poe Center’s #YouthCulture program is designed to empower parents and guardians by providing insight into the environment and culture around our youth. This 2 hour workshop explores how the developing adolescent brain shapes perceptions and behavior. All participants will receive a free packet of supportive materials and resources. Covered topics will include substance use, Internet safety, sexting, and healthy dating relationships. In addition we will explore ways to enhance parent-child communication.
Additional scheduling options consist of 90 minute modules:
- Adolescent Brain Development and the Role of Social Media
- Learn about current research on adolescent brain development and teen risk perception. Participants will also explore how a risk perception impacts a teen’s engagement with social media and Internet security.
- Healthy Teen Relationships
- Learn to recognize warning signs of unhealthy dating relationships and potential dating violence. In addition participants will learn current sexting statistics and trends as well as North Carolina laws.
- Adolescent Brain Development and Addiction
- Learn how early onset substance use affects the development of the adolescent brain and how substance use by teens might mask underlying mental health issues like anxiety and depression.
- Navigating “The Talk”
- Learn about resources and tools to assist you in developing and tailoring the talk with your teen about social media, teen relationships, and substance use.
Find more information about #YouthCulture HERE!
Drugs Uncovered: What Parents & Adults Need to Know
Grade Level: Adults Only | Program Length: 2 hours
Drugs Uncovered: What Parents & Adults Need to Know is an interactive program that targets parents of upper elementary, middle school and high school students.Drugs Uncovered introduces parents to the current trends regarding alcohol, tobacco and other drugs; health risks associated with adolescent use/abuse; the North Carolina alcohol laws and parental responsibility; and techniques for open communication and dialog with adolescents.
Bullying Uncovered Lite: What Parents & Adults Need to Know
Grade Level: Adults | Program Length: 75 minutes
Bullying is a serious issue in our schools and communities with long-term effects lasting into adulthood. Bullying Uncovered empowers caring adults with vital information about how to identify and address bullying. Learn about cyberbullying, why it’s different and what effects it may have on your child. Get more information about the latest trends in online activities and texting. Hear about the most recent research including statistics and best practices for dealing with bullying.
Grade Level: Adults | Program Length: Five 2.5-hour sessions
A CDC evidence-based program that empowers and educates parents/guardians of pre-teens (children ages 9-14) on how to be their own child’s sexual health and responsibility educator. Designed ultimately as a communication workshop, Parents Matter! helps parents/guardians dialogue more effectively with their child(ren) so that their values are being heard above those in the media. The Parents Matter! program will include:
- Tips on how to improve communication
- Strategies for communicating your values to your child
- Practice answering hard questions
- Learning the truth about kids’ sexual behavior
- Talking with other parents dealing with the same issues
- Information about puberty and other health topics
Dinner and child care are included with each session.
Healthy POEtential Series
Grade Level: Adults | Program Length: Four 1-hour sessions
Healthy POEtential is four session family education series which promotes healthy habits to adults and their families. This informative and interactive program covers:
- Nutrition and and physical activity basics
- In depth discussion around food groups, reading food labels and portion sizes
- How to get the most out of your food budget
- A virtual “Grocery Store Tour”
Grade Level: Adults | Program Length: One 1-hour session
Is fast food a cheaper alternative to healthful eating? No!! Explore the evolution of serving sizes in America and learn how to feed your family healthfully and inexpensively. Healthy POEtential is an adult education program emphasizing the importance of good nutrition and physical activity. This one-hour interactive program covers nutrition and physical activity basics, the “MyPlate” food guide, decoding the Nutrition Facts label, and how to get the most out of your food budget.
Ages: 5 and Up | Program Length: 1 hour
Are you ready to “come on down” to participate in a fun filled game show? Join our wacky hosts for a nutrition and physical activity themed, interactive and educational program. This program is designed for all ages. Groups of up to 200 can participate and FAMILIES can compete TOGETHER to reach the “Million- Dollar” question.
Go For It!
Grade Level: Adults | Program Length: Four 2-hour sessions
Go For It! educates participants on the importance of making positive personal choices when it comes to nutrition and physical activity in order to lead a healthy lifestyle. Participants will explore the balance between food and exercise, and will be encouraged to make a lifelong commitment to their health by finding personal ways to overcome barriers and challenges to regular physical activity and proper nutrition.
Grade Level: Adult Seniors | Program Length: Eight 1-hour sessions
Health Wise is an education program to promote healthy aging for older adults. The 8-session series is designed to address issues important to older adults, such as nutrition, physical activity, meal planning, prevention of chronic disease, communicating with healthcare providers, and brain fitness (preserving memory and cognition). Participants will inspire others to adopt healthier lifestyle habits!
To schedule a program or to obtain additional information on these programs, please call (919) 231-4006 or contact our Scheduling Coordinator, Kate Mascho, at email@example.com.