You can make a valuable contribution to the future health of North Carolina children and youth as a volunteer at the Poe Center!
As a 501(c)(3) non-profit, we rely on the generous contributions of time, talent and energy from our North Carolina community members. You will help to enrich our programs, and, in turn, you will be enriched with fun, friendship and professional development.
How Do I Become a Poe Center Volunteer?
- Complete and submit an online Volunteer Application.
- Attend a Volunteer Informational Meeting at the Poe Center. Email Chelsea Kolander at firstname.lastname@example.org for dates and additional information.
- Successfully complete a criminal background check if over 18 (forms available at the Informational Meeting).
For the safety of the Poe Center’s program participants, ALL three steps must be followed.
- Work behind the scenes with the Poe Center’s Health Educators to prepare programs, props, educational tools, activities and exhibits.
- Work the Administration Desk and greet and guide field trip groups and tours through the Poe Center’s teaching facility.
- Garden volunteers will assist in watering, weeding, landscaping, planting and harvesting produce in the Poe and Grow Garden. Volunteer tasks will vary seasonally. Being a garden volunteer is a great opportunity to see your hard work flourish. Opportunities range from 30 minutes to 2 hours. An assortment of age-appropriate tasks available.
- Assist with special events and weekend projects, including supporting the Poe Center’s adjoining PlayWELL Park’s new Saturday hours of operation.
- Develop valuable skills related to nonprofit management, program and project management and delivery, health education and nutrition!
Benefits of Volunteering
The benefits of volunteering at the Alice Aycock Poe Center for Health Education (Poe Center) are endless!
- Helping to ensure a healthy future for North Carolina children and youth
- Professional development and training
- A place to showcase your talents and expertise
- Letter of reference or documentation of hours of service
- Invitation to volunteer and staff events, including the Poe Center’s Annual Meeting, usually held in September
- Working alongside and learning from the many talents of the Poe Center’s experiences full-time staff and skilled Health Educators
Activate Good Partner
The Poe Center is a nonprofit partner of Activate Good.
Check out our immediate volunteer needs HERE!